HSBC UK City Ride
2nd July 2017
Name of event: HSBC UK CITY RIDE NEWCASTLE
Date: 2nd July 2017
Where: Start Point Exhibition Park
What is it about?
· Starting at Exhibition Park, the 8.5 kilometre route will take participants past some of the city’s most iconic sites including the Great North Museum, and the home of Newcastle United Football Club, St James’ Park. The route will also feature an accessible loop, suitable for all adapted bikes.
· The event will be the fourth of 13 free-to-attend City Ride events across the country in 2017, and is the first step towards HSBC UK and British Cycling’s ambition to get two million people on bikes by 2020, making cycling the UK’s most popular activity and sport of choice.
· As well as exploring the city-centre route, the event will give young riders the opportunity to test their bike handling and pick up new skills on the HSBC UK Go-Ride course. Run by British Cycling coaches, the area will feature obstacles and challenges for all levels of rider to tackle.
· There will be bikes and helmets available to borrow and you will be able to find out about all of the local cycling clubs and activities for children in the area.
· Younger participants will also be able to dress their bikes in the Kids’ Zone, which will house face-painting, a bib personalisation station and a caricature artist.
· Entrants will be able to benefit from the presence of fully-qualified technicians who will be able to advise on any mechanical issues, while other activities such as a virtual reality cycling experience, street velodrome and the Sir Chris Hoy challenge – where participants can challenge Sir Chris’ Olympic gold-medal winning sprint time – will ensure a fantastic day for entrants of all ages.
The events are completely free and participants can either register their participation at www.letsride.co.uk or enter on the day.